Call us 1300 651 415


Carer’s Leave (Sick & Carer’s Leave)

Allows employees to take time off work to care for an immediate family or household member suffering from a personal illness, injury, mental condition, or pregnancy-related issues. Sick and carer’s leave come under the same leave entitlement – it is also known as personal / carer’s leave.

Code of Conduct

Written guidelines that provide a comprehensive overview of the company and acceptable behaviours and actions. These guidelines are typically included as part of an employee handbook. Each industry and company is different and the Code should reflect the relevant circumstances of a particular business.

Collective Agreement

A registered agreement sets out the terms and conditions of employment between an employee or group of employees and one or more employers. A trade union can be a party to a collective agreement.

Collective Bargaining

Negotiation of wages and other conditions of employment by an organised body of employees. Typically, unions assist in this process, however, employees are also permitted to collectively bargain without union involvement.


Payment to an employee based on the level of sales obtained. Employees with a job in sales are typically paid on a commission, where they earn a percentage of each sale they make. The exact percentage an employer pays depends on the value of the sale, and if the employee is also paid a working wage or salary.

Community Service Leave

A form of unpaid leave intended to enable employees to engage in designated community service activities, such as a voluntary emergency management activity or jury duty (including attendance for jury selection). An employee is entitled to take community service leave while they are engaged in the activity and for reasonable travel and rest time. There is no limit on the amount of community service leave an employee can take.

Compensation (Workers Compensation)

Is a measure of payment awarded to employees if they are injured or fall sick on account of their work. Typically, Workers Compensation covers two areas of payment: wages that they may have forfeited while they were unfit for work, as well as their rehabilitation and medical fees.


An informal and voluntary process where an independent third party (the conciliator) assists an employee and employer resolve a dispute by reaching an agreement. A conciliator does this by helping the parties identify disputed issues, develop options and consider alternatives in an effort to assist both parties reach mutually acceptable agreement.

Questions? Call us on 1300 651 415 to speak with a specialist

Let's chat!

Don't ask yourself about
Fair Work, ask us!

  • *By submitting your details, you may receive occasional updates from us as set up in our Privacy Policy.